Thursday 8 August 2013

Just a Mistake

I was getting a little frantic this morning as my emails remained unanswered and the 14th August was rapidly approaching. As a last attempt to get some info I rang the shire planning department. The delightful lady I spoke to calmed me down and asked me why I felt under such pressure
to see the data and get my comments back to the shire.
I stopped fretting then, looked down at my sparkly red shoes and said, "Because important decisions about Karridale are going to be decided next week, on Wednesday, and none of the decision makers have had the information they need either." At times I do doubt my own sanity here and wonder why on earth Karridale matters at all.
Of course I knew the decision makers weren't that interested in boring facts, but I did hope that maybe just one or two of them would feel a little shamed into at least pretending that they wanted to make an "informed" decision, rather than just be led along the usual "developer knows best" track.
But then I was told, "Worry not, you are wrong, there is no Karridale planning item on the agenda next week. Never has been, can't think where you got that idea from you silly old coot." I'm paraphrasing of course, but old ladies are often treated as though their brains degenerate at the same rate as their looks.
How could this be happening to me? Am I hallucinating? Sending all those pleas for help to a wide range of people for no good reason at all. How they must have laughed!
Well better to laugh than cry.
I didn't do either, just turned to 'im indoors a little puzzled and asked, "Why did I think Karridale was on the agenda next week? Whatever could have led me to think such a thing? Did I dream it?"
He shoved the Augusta-Margaret River Times in front of my shaking head and that explained everything. There was an advertisement in the Public Notices showing the agenda for 14th August. Karridale was there, but the AMRTimes got it wrong. Maybe this was a special edition that only the Matthews household had a copy of, a joke copy created by some mischief maker.
So now instead of too little information we just have another example of misinformation.
I wonder if this was "unintentional", or maybe they'll be able to blame the AMRTimes.
Hands up, who did it?

1 comment:

James Goodman said...

Thumps Up. If this "strategy" was ever meant to be a transparent process there would be a folder, rather large by now, within it would be all the documentation from wo to go and it would be made available in its entirety to the Karridale public.

Post a Comment